Victor Talking Machine Company
||Started as E.
Berliner by J. Sanders and E. Blout on money borrowed from
Mr. Berliner. The business prospered and the money was repaid
promptly. The name was soon changed to The Berliner
Gramophone Co. of Montreal. No important purchases were made
from Camden until about 1905. After that all of Victor’s
national advertising carried a byline reading “Berliner
Gramophone Co., Montreal, Canadian Distributors.” Mr.
Sanders, a nephew of Mr. Berliner’s, had charge of product
development, production, etc. He was a recognized expert on recording
materials. Mr. Blout was in charge of the commercial end of the
business, and subsequently became one of Victor’s
distributors in New York City.
||(6/17/09) The company was
incorporated as The Berliner Gramophone Co. Ltd., Canada. Victor got 94
some question about this quantity. It may have been 940.
||"His Master’s Voice
Ltd., Canada," a national distributing subsidiary, was incorporated on
March 6, 1920.
||On November 21, 1923, the
Victor Board authorized the payment of $292,000 for 170.000 shares of
Berliner stock at par. The purchase price was to include "His
Master’s Voice," the distributing subsidiary. The name of the
company was to be changed to the Victor Talking Machine Co., Ltd.
(Canada) with a capital of $1,000,000. $500,000 were the assets of the
company and $500,000 cash was to be supplied by Victor. Victor was to
have 5,001 shares with an option to increase to 67%.
||Victor now owned 7,949 shares
of 10,000, (12/31/27).
||Victor acquired full ownership.
||(3/17/34) RCA Victor Company
Ltd., formerly the Victor Talking Machine Co. of Canada Ltd.,
incorporated with an authorized capital of $3,000,000 ($l,000,000 paid
Master’s Voice" was absorbed by RCA Victor, Ltd.
||"His Master’s Voice"
Charter was surrendered.